I Forge Iron

Rio Grande 35# anvil?

So I found this anvil from this jewelry supply website, Rio Grande (http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea/ProductPage.aspx?assetName=113812). Since another page I read on this website pretty much discounted the NuLine "cast steel" anvil as an ASO I was wondering if anyone had any information about this one, the second cheapest one I found using google? I've never owned an anvil before, until now I've been using a baseplate from a railroad track nailed to a stump. It served me well for a while but now it's getting a little dented and I'm looking to upgrade (within my means). Any information or advice you can offer would be much appreciated.

Save your money for a real anvil. For $180 you can probably find a much larger anvil, if you look around. You didn't put in your location. So I'm not sure what part of the world you are in. But I am pretty sure that you can get a better Blacksmith anvil for that much money. My 2 cents. :)

Save your money for a real anvil. For $180 you can probably find a much larger anvil, if you look around. You didn't put in your location. So I'm not sure what part of the world you are in. But I am pretty sure that you can get a better Blacksmith anvil for that much money. My 2 cents. :)

Oh, I'm from Westchester County, NY. Not particularly rural. People always say you can find anvils at estate sales and places like that but I don't think people in my area have anvils lying around to sell. Someone on another thread recommended an anvil from a ferrier website, NC Tool Co, which is $235 for 70# and seems like a good deal, depending on shipping.

I've bought most of my anvils inside Columbus OH and it's environs---many more anvils were used in factories and repair shops than out in the country! I personally know of anvils in a window glass factory, a sugar refinery, an *old* auto repair shop---moved to that building in 1918, a plumbing/hvac company, even a hospital! (Had a lovely chat with the fellow who was the orthopedic blacksmith during WWII there. So what's this about not being rural? Lots of anvils usually in better shape in basements and garages of the cities! (My largest anvil came from a RR shop right inside the city; when it shut down the anvil went home with a fellow whose son sold it to me.)

If you really want to do smithing I would suggest hunting down an anvil of 100 pounds or larger. "Shop" anvils were usually 150 to 250 pounds with larger ones grading toward industrial use and smaller ones being part of traveling farrier's kits.

I do occasionally use a 25# anvil for living history demonstrations. Sure is nice to get back to a large one! (Of course back in Y1K times they were forging real wrought iron which is *really* *soft* at the proper forging temperature.)