I Forge Iron

Cracks in Clay Lining

I recently put in a clay lining into my rivet forge. It used clay right out of the ground. I burnished it smooth and I scored a few concentric circles into it. However, it still cracked badly. There has to be over 20 or 25 deep cracks in it that run around the firepot, as well as into the firepot.

What should I fill the cracks with? More clay? Or could I use sand or ash? What about lime putty?

Thanks!

I recently put in a clay lining into my rivet forge. It used clay right out of the ground. I burnished it smooth and I scored a few concentric circles into it. However, it still cracked badly. There has to be over 20 or 25 deep cracks in it that run around the firepot, as well as into the firepot.

What should I fill the cracks with? More clay? Or could I use sand or ash? What about lime putty?

Thanks!

Clay is cheap and readily available- use it. The problen with clay is that it cracks and that it readily joins with slag and will come out with the clinkers. I have no experience with refractory clays- you might try some of that.