I Forge Iron

Forge question (newb)

Hey everyone I have found my medium finally and all the great info here isn't helping me not to do it so first of all Thank you.
My question is: I have an old cast iron sink my old man dug out of his property it is 1/4 thick and roughly 12x24 and 5 to 6 inches deep with the drain at one end would this work ok for a beginners forge or not? Any input is greatly appreciated and thanks again for all the info.

Sounds like my first forge---built it in 1981 in OKC OK, USA.

I took a piece of pipe and drilled a ton of holes along a 1/3 of one side of the pipe and then drilled a series of holes in a circle in the end of the sink opposite the drain and punched out a hole that the pipe fit through. I used floor flanges and a T to curve the end down the drain and hook it up to an air supply. The open end I made a "ram rod" to fit inside so I could control the length of the fire I was using *and* I could clean out the ashes that fell in the pipe. I filled in the sides of the sink with local creek clay mixes with wood ashes and pounded in place to form a V shaped trough with the pipe in the middle.

Burned charcoal in it and it worked great!

You might want to search for "Tim Lively washtub forge" for examples of a varient of this type used a lot in the neo tribal metal smithing community.