I Forge Iron

Dies with holes in them?

Has anyone thought about dies with a hole in them? Thinking about a homebuilt powerhammer again, and got to thinking about drilling a hole down into the anvil block, with a L hole off the side (for scale and such to fall out), it wouldn't interfere with regular dies in the hammer, but then you could also switch out for a die with a hardy hole in it that would line up with the hole, and allow you to upset/head over different things that are long.

i use semi-open dies to forge just about everything in my shop, which basically swage barstock down into shape without having flash. On my bottom-dies, I have vent-holes for scale to escape out the back of the die. Rule of thumb for a swaging-dies.................twice as wide as deep, to allow the hot metal to deform without creating flash.

Has anyone thought about dies with a hole in them? Thinking about a homebuilt powerhammer again, and got to thinking about drilling a hole down into the anvil block, with a L hole off the side (for scale and such to fall out), it wouldn't interfere with regular dies in the hammer, but then you could also switch out for a die with a hardy hole in it that would line up with the hole, and allow you to upset/head over different things that are long.

Sam, the idea is good. I guess you didn't get to see the nail making video Friday night at Ashokan (should have come then:) ), you can see it in this interview posted on You Tube: I
I don't have the side cut out and scale does build up eventually. I use a magnet to clear it out or a quick removal of the dies when necessary.That has not been a big issue, even when I am making a couple hundred strake nails at a time.

• 2 weeks later...