I Forge Iron

chain making stake tool

In the film SHEARS the old smith uses a tool to back up his cleft weld, and for a second or two it is is pictured in the hardy hole. What is it has had me going nuts since I saw that film. Today we visited Godfrey South (Darenth Valley Forge U.K.)< his website. and I asked him whassit? He not only knew, but had two of them, "CHAIN MAKING STAKE TOOL"!!! the name tells all. one has a fuller groove on the top for making eyes in the end of a round bar, and the hook holds a chain link for welding! There is a lot of smithing tools and techniques here in England we in the U.S. do not have -yet.

Rick, that is it! Godrfey has a small one that fits in the hardy hole, and a large one that is a long stake. Both have that little hook on them that so mystified me in SHEARS. once he told me the name of the tool, all became clear, his hardy hole tool has a deep fuller on its top that makes eyes in round bars easy to turn over a link. George, we have a diggy camera and are taking lots of pics. once we get home we stick the chip into the hard part of the computer... and that is where they live, all mixed up with boring family fotos, untouchable to a computer dummy like me. one day...

Rick, that is it! Godrfey has a small one that fits in the hardy hole, and a large one that is a long stake. Both have that little hook on them that so mystified me in SHEARS. once he told me the name of the tool, all became clear, his hardy hole tool has a deep fuller on its top that makes eyes in round bars easy to turn over a link. George, we have a diggy camera and are taking lots of pics. once we get home we stick the chip into the hard part of the computer... and that is where they live, all mixed up with boring family fotos, untouchable to a computer dummy like me. one day...

Having suffered through two losses of data I suggest you deal with photos as they are downloaded and save them on an external hard drive...the one terabyte (1TB) are good for quite a few pictures and are cheap now. "Back up" your business files on an external as well...it more than pays for itself when computer issues occur..and they will.
The important things I burn to CD of DVD so I have two copies of that stuff....its not paranoia its preparation.

Ric