I Forge Iron

New guy

Rusty

Hello, there.

I'm a bit new to this, in case you haven't guessed, and the closest I'm ever come to blacksmithing is watching the farrier booth at SCA fairs. My father is a metalworker of the lathe and milling machine variety, but I always thought that was a little boring, if rather useful. I hope to get a start blacksmithing as soon as I've got my own place, and I figured the best time to start learning was now! :) I probably won't post much, because I don't know much, but I hope to learn a lot from all you grizzled vets. Thanks!

-Rusty

Rusty
If your dad is a machinist he's also a blacksmith refined to about the 100th power .
Machinist , fabricators ,welders and the like all evolved from the blacksmith.
Blacksmiths invented the first milling machines and lathes and then they took those machines and built more accurate machines and then they took those machines and built more accurate ones and then ------- well you get the picture and they havent stopped evolving yet.
Welcome to the sight
you can start absorbing at any time and perhaps experience a little evolution yourself

Rusty;
Sounds like you have taken the first step. Just keep taking the next step, and the next step. You will be there.
I am new to this fourm. As I have become more fimiliar with this site, I become more exicted about what I may learn from all of those who are willing to help.
Blacksmiths like yeasteryearforge and blacksmithtech were waiting at the door for you. This is a good place to start.
Be safe, be safe!
Ted