I Forge Iron

kopis styled knife

rokshasa

here is a kopis inspired knife i made a few weeks ago, the blade is 12" long o1 tool steel the guard and but cap are a patinaed wrought iron and the handle is white ash. i worked the handle with my grinder to dress it up a bit, white ash is not the nicest looking wood out there and i think the burnning looks nice as well as providing an excellent grip. i have had an order for a same knife but with a 7"blade that i'm almost done and will post very soon.

overall:19"
blade 12"post-7346-0-44333200-1301059442_thumb.jppost-7346-0-52605700-1301059447_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

well, i forged the blade to as close as i could get it. i just basicly upset the end that curves by like 1/4" from the rest of the blade then started on the distal taper , when i finished forging i profiled with the grinding wheel then the belt grinder. finished sanding by hand. the guard is forged rough then belt sanded , i used a punch to make the hole the end cap was made the same way but i used a smaller punch, then i peened it over. the fittings are etched in viniger.