I Forge Iron

Chipped hand hammer face

Kenny O

I have two Heller brothers ( flea market) hammers that feel real nice, but the faces have issues, one is a cross pein and the uncrossed face has a chip on the side, and I have a rounding hammer with similar issues on the flat face.

Is it possible to weld up the chipped face and use it safely? Would pre and post heat work, or would a total heat treat be necessary?
I don't have a tig setup, only MIG and SMAW.
Thank you

Kenny O

It would certainly be possible... also, even MORE certainly, UNwise. If the chip is small and not accompanied by any cracks or flaking you could just regrind/dress the face without heat treating and be fine. Such hammer heads are only worth a dollar or two though and why risk your health to recycle them?!? Health costs are HIGH! Disabilities are aggravating! I have bought UNchipped hammers by the boxful at farm sales and flea markets! I bought a pretty rough one for $2 (overpaid a bit maybe) but it was a little heavier than I wanted anyway and I liked the basic shape. I ground away mushrooming and edge chips (all quite small) and reforged and reheat treated the hammer. After making a new handle it is my favorite! Lots of work but with a worthwhile result! I would never trust a welded hammer for forging though... the stresses are extreme! The dangers likely to be underestimated.