I Forge Iron

Euro drop

Maybe they think it performs better that way. I've read elsewhere (perhaps on Anvilfire) about the way people tend to look at things in anthropomorphic terms. They think of an anvil as "tired" if it droops (or you can think of some other characteristics to apply to it! ).

Perhaps Peddinghaus just thinks that a little bit of down angle is preferable, more ergonomic, or something, and weird impressions be darned.

So this "feature" existed since the anvil was first made? Were you the original owner?

Where is the hardy located?

I know a few varieties of cast iron are aged (put on a shelf and let sit a year) after the sand cast is machined off because the metal has internal stresses from casting, and the crystal structure of the iron changes slightly for a while. Atlas lathe beds were treated this way. I don't know if any steels act this way, or if removing the skin from the one side will cause the other side to pull with enough force to deform the whole anvil.

If it is a Peddinghaus, then isn't that closed die drop forged?

Phil

I'm the original owner and the drop was there from day one...........maybe I should ask peddinghaus.

Like I said I've seen other pedds with a similar feature, which leads me to believe it has a use.....or not

The hardie is fore and pritchel aft........

.I'm pretty sure newer, say Rat Hole anvils are flat across the full face, maybe they're missing out on a really cool feature..................or not, I've never found it to be an advantage or impediment, just one of those little puzzles :huh: