I Forge Iron

Newbie w/ forge design questions

Iron Cross

Hello, everyone!

My name is Ramey, coming to you from partly sunny (instead of snow-covered) Greenville, OH. Iron Cross is the name of the blacksmith/fab business I'm about to start.

I've been reading about forge/burner designs and had idea and a couple questions. First, I want a gas forge capable of forge welding things as large as a broad axe, but that won't be my primary project size. Would I be better off making a smaller (freon tank) size forge for smaller jobs, then builking a larger one for big jobs? Second, I've access to a 15" steel drum. I considered cutting about 1/3 off of the diameter of the drum, welding a flat floor on it to increase floor capacity, making it a 24" long quonset hut w/ 2 burners. Anyone else try anything like that?

Thanks in advance!

-Ramey

You will definitely want to size your forge to your work to save on Gas expense. *Much* cheaper to build several forges than to pay for wasted propane running a large one all the time.

As you will be in a stable set up look into making a blown burner for your large one. Much simpler to build and run and they can get scary hot! We had a large propane forge up at 7000' altitude getting 2.5" sq stock up to welding temp with no problem using a blown system!

You will definitely want to size your forge to your work to save on Gas expense. *Much* cheaper to build several forges than to pay for wasted propane running a large one all the time.

As you will be in a stable set up look into making a blown burner for your large one. Much simpler to build and run and they can get scary hot! We had a large propane forge up at 7000' altitude getting 2.5" sq stock up to welding temp with no problem using a blown system!

Ala' Tim Allen... oh oh oh! The Binford 7000 Forge! oh oh oh.. more heat!