I Forge Iron

Chipped Heller bros. hammers

Kenny O

I have two Heller brothers ( flea market) hammers that feel real nice but the faces have issues, one is a cross pein and the uncrossed face has a chip on the side, and I have a rounding hammer with similar issues on the un-round face.

Is it possible to weld up the chipped face and use it safely, what would the pre and post heat tx be, 60,000 or 70,000 type wire? I think gmaw would be the best process I don't have a gtaw set-up, smaw would heat it up to much ?

Thank you

Kenny O

I had an old Heller like yours that had a bid old chip out of the round face and all I did was dress it down with a 4" grinder with those flap wheels until it was smoothed out. I made the entire edge match the curve of where the chip was gone, a much rounder face, still a nice hammer. Keep it cool and don't heat it till it turns blue or anything like that or you'll change the temper of the face. I don't think it advisable to weld on the face of hammers. If you're all hellbent on changing the face of the hammer you will need to take the handle out and put that hammer head in the forge and totally rework it not just hit is with an arc welder. then of course you need to re-heat treat the hammer head. Sometime on eBay those Heller hammer go for some big chunks of change. They start of for $0.99 and end up going for over $50 and some of them are beat to pieces. Me I rather have a Jim Keith hammer. B)

I picked up a smallish heller ballpeen from the fleamarket last week. I noticed that it looked a bit gnawed up too; but more like soft rather than too hard.

I decided to clean it up and save it for the grandkids as I think that some of them will be little hellers too!

Thomas