I Forge Iron

fontanini 460 lb

Anybody have the height dimension on the fontanini 460 lb anvil? He has the dimension diagram on his site, but for the life of me i can't read what this one is. I am starting to build a stand and need to know the height so i can get it where i want it. I bought some 1/2" plate today for the anvil to sit on. I had to buy four ten by ten inch plates to weld together. The steel supplier had nothing of the size i wanted, unless i wanted to pay a ton for a four foot by eight foot sheet of 1/2"!
Also should i preheat the plate before welding? Anyone have any opinions on welding 1/2" plate for an anvil base?

Anybody have the height dimension on the fontanini 460 lb anvil? He has the dimension diagram on his site, but for the life of me i can't read what this one is. I am starting to build a stand and need to know the height so i can get it where i want it. I bought some 1/2" plate today for the anvil to sit on. I had to buy four ten by ten inch plates to weld together. The steel supplier had nothing of the size i wanted, unless i wanted to pay a ton for a four foot by eight foot sheet of 1/2"!
Also should i preheat the plate before welding? Anyone have any opinions on welding 1/2" plate for an anvil base?

Let me run back down to the barn and measure mine. Don't like the sound of you having to buy steel plate. :o If you was closer i can get some 1/2" plate or 1" plate from work!

Thanks Chad. Are the dimensions the same for the 250 and the 460? Yeah the plate, and steel in general is pretty spendy. Thanks for the thought though.

The 250 was 2" ish, shy of the 460. If i remember right, Steve had a 250 there and i measured it just for curiosity. and on his web site it looks like about two inches less.

Chad

You don't have any buddies that are ironmongers? There is a lot of stuff that goes into the scrap bin on those big commercial jobs, the guys up here have no problem with someone taking whatever they need if you ask. Personally I would go with 1 inch plate for an anvil base, you want it to be solid. Also I would wait until I had the anvil and cut the plate to follow the base of the anvil making it flush along the sides so you can pass a piece straight down the side without the base getting in the way

I never run across 1 inch plate the size i am looking for. I need a plate roughly 13" by 18". Scrap is so expensive now that people aren't as into giving it away. My plan was to make the plate i need, when i get the anvil, use the plasma to cut the anvil size out of the plate. I have been scavenging around the jobsites, and haven't found anything the size i need. Most of what i have found has been structural pieces which are irregular. I am going to see how my welded plate comes out, if it is warped, i will look into something else.

I'm just waiting for one of my suppliers to have some 1 1/4" laser cut for my 455 pound Peter Wright. They routinely have pieces laser cut by a shop for a farm equipment supply contract they have, so they said they would have the the base plate cut for me in their next order. Since the base is 14" X 14", they can't cut it out of bar (max width = 12").