I Forge Iron

Torch tip info

Guest baddog

Guest baddog

I have a couple torch questions I hope maybe ya'll can answer. I recently watched the Lee Bros do a lot of forging with a propane torch. I have a couple torch sets and while my main will stay oxy/acet, I would like to switch one to propane. What size rosebud would ya'll recommend for smithing reheats? We mostly work with 1/2" stock and 1/4" flat but could go as big as 1" stock. Would I need one size for propane and one for oxy/acet?

Also what size brazing tips would be best for these sizes of materials? I would like to try this also.

Lastly where do ya'll recommend to buy torch tips? My local weld shops are pretty expensive.

I appreciate any help folks.

Size varies with manufacturer, tips for oxy-propane are different, my largest is 250,000 btus, 2" diameter. Not sure what type of work you have in mind, but I find a forge to be both more effective and efficient that a torch for most forging jobs.

Cyberweld.com is supposedly a good deal.

I think Alan and Jeff were using a size 10 rosebud, they make bigger but I don't believe you would need it. Check all the pawn shops in your area. You can usually pick up a complete torch setup for fairly cheap, if you do your shopping. Also, if you are planning to use a torch for you heat source, hope you have deep pockets! a propane forge would be much cheaper. They were using the torch for localized heats and a quick warm up on a small piece. They also had a gas-saver which, IMO, is a most if you are going to do this type of heating. I know I wouldn't do without mine. you can get these on-line but you will need to decide if you are going acty-fuel or propane as they are different.

Wasn't that the best time! Alan and Jeff really showed off that day. Glad you made it down.

As far as the rosebud tip goes. If you go above a certain size you will need a gas manifold for your fuel and oxygen as well. It will consume a high volume of fuel and oxygen. I have a book at home that tells all that info but, I'm not home at the moment and wont be for about 6 or 7 more weeks.

You should be able to find what you are looking for here though. I'm sure they will have any information you need.

http://www.thermadyn...literature.html

http://www.thermadyne.com/IM_Uploads/DocLib_2879_56-0114%20guide_lo.pdf