I Forge Iron

Mesalands Iron Pour

I'm packing up my tools for next weeks iron pour at Mesalands Community College. This may be my last one the way I feel. At least this year my youngest son has drivers license to help with the driving so that will ease some of the pain. I got my wax tools all cleaned up and packed, extension cords, hot plates, hot wax pens, disk grinders, mold release, molds, tape, just about all I need is in buckets ready to go in the car. I got new struts and tires for the car, oil changed, transmission flushed, it's already to go. Now all I need to do is some laundry and pack my clothes for Friday and drive off for Albuquerque and then on to Tucumcari on Saturday. I sure hope the nice weather holds till then and all of next week too. :P

If I can find a computer literate person to figure out how to do the cursed picture thing I will try to post some. :angry: Don't get you up too high though <_<

I don't know how enjoyable it will be for the first few days, he has panic attacks whenever he leaves home, it ain't exactly fun traveling with an over ripe nut. :blink: Just getting him to pack a suitcase is a major undertaking. I've been ready for a week and excited as all get out and he is all helter skelter. The only thing I have left to pack is my ditty bag and my medication. Tucumcari here I come! :D B)

• 2 weeks later...

I'M BACK! What a great time I had, making art, being with other artists, seeing old friends and seeing FIRE! A really big fire from that copula at night is just wonderful. Flowing molten metal is just one of the most beautiful sights around. I tell you folk can have their pictures of cute puppies, kittens and babies but I'll take molten metal any day. Now I got to figure out how to get the danged film out of this camera ;)

What with"transmission flushed"&"film out of this camera" ?????????????
Bentiron was this a re-enactment??? :D even here in darkest Africa those are things from a bygone era. B)
Looking forward to the pics!
Regards Ian

No it wasn't a re-enactment, it's an art thing. Artist do cast bronze all the time but it is a little more arduous to do the same casting in iron. Cast iron is still used on a regular basis in many industrial products but is resurgence in art is fairly recent. We use the same procedures as for casting bronze or even steel, the ceramic shell and resin bonded sand. We scrap cast iron, i.e, bath tubs, sinks, cast iron machinery, soil pipe, well just anything that is made of cast iron and destined to be remelted. There is a home made copula and it is fired with coke to melt the cast iron. When a sufficient quaint of molten iron is collected it is tapped and collect in crucible for direct pouring into the molds. Cast iron is not a thing of bygone eras, it is alive and well all over the world as a vibrant part of art and manufacturing. Now if I can just figure out how to get the film out of the camera? :blink:

"transmission flushed" It was time according to the cars owner's manual for the automatic transmission to be flushed and have the filter and pan gasket replaced, a normal thing to have done a one-hundred-fifty thousand miles I guess according to my mechanic. "film out of this camera" After many year I finally surrendered up my old Canon camera and bought a new fandangled electronic computerized thingamabob camera and I haven't figured out how to unload it or I think the word now is "download". I know that somewhere in that thing there are supposed to be pictures. Just where and how I ain't figured out yet. I will need to hire help to take the "film" out. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I think you mean up load you want to up load to the net try imageshack you first need to in stall your software follow instructions then open your photo file and there they should be then either copy theme to a new folder go to image shack register was free and you should be able to get photos you can get a link for forums cut and paste link and that should be it I hope

Right now I'm waiting on my son to do it for me. I know if I try it will be like when I get frustrated with a forging project, I throw the hammer or the iron, I have found that digital cameras are not as tough as hammers. Therefore I need to test my patience and wait on my son to do it for me. Now all I need to do is locate my cattle prod to hasten his movements toward my computer and camera, he always seems to have other "irons in the fire" that are more important than mine. Oh, the frustration of being computer inept! The shame of being the village computer idiot! :blink: <_<