I Forge Iron

climbing spurs

canuk

anyone ever try making a pair? i had to hang my tree stand last fall and trying to climb the tree wasn't real fun wearing work boots. i was thinking a relatively high carbon metal for the actual spur but just mild for the leg braces?

Many years ago I made a historical-type set of climbing leg-irons (or whatever they were called) for a friend that was a U.S. War-Between-The-States reenactor. The agreement was that the irons would be for display use only and not actually used, due to liability concerns. I deliberately shaped and welded the dulled point into the irons at such an angle that the irons could not be used for climbing.

I have never tried to make any but if you are in my area i have an old set i will give you if you can pick them up in Renfrew.

Bob

thanks bob, but renfrew is about six hours from me, and half the appeal is making something i can put to use.

I have used a couple pair. I only use them on trees I am removing any more, if I am not paying someone else to do it for me. The sharpened spike is removable from the supporting frame. The supporting frame straps to the boot and calf. Using a calf pad makes the experience much better.

Look at climbing spurs on sites for logging and tree maintenance.
Such as here (I have not dealt with this company, they have good pictures)
http://www.wesspur.com/spurs/spurs.html?gclid=COH74p-LsKcCFYnc4AodNAJ1TQ

Do also remember that spurs damage the bark and the growing outer layer of the tree, bark and cambium, and this can promote spread of tree diseases and insect infestations in healthy trees. At the very least plan on a regimen of sanitizing the spike.

Phil

anyone ever try making a pair? i had to hang my tree stand last fall and trying to climb the tree wasn't real fun wearing work boots. i was thinking a relatively high carbon metal for the actual spur but just mild for the leg braces?

I buy supplies for my sawmill and wood cutting through Baileys and would recommend them. They have a pretty complete line of arborist equipment including climbing supplies. there are pictures of a couple types that would be fairly easy to reproduce in a blacksmith shop. You might consider buying their replaceable spurs and making your irons fit them. You will undoubtedly need a climbing strap as well. We have a local hunter who has been in a wheelchair for about ten years when he fell trying to get in his stand. Better safe than sorry. Anyway for what it's worth as ideas and inspiration here is the link:

http://www.baileyson...ry.asp?CatID=33