I Forge Iron

Who made my anvil? II

Okay fellas we figured out what my Hay-Budden was so I thought I would pose the next question...

Who made this Guy? I swapped the hundred pounder plus some cash for this one. I was out scrounging around on an old farm buying some things and the guy showed me his dad's old anvil. NO he didn't want to sell it, but he thought I'd enjoy seeing it. Well a few weeks later (Last Weekend) I finally nailed him down on the Mandrel I found in his shed and when I went to pick it up he told me he might consider swapping his anvil for my smaller one plus 200.00. He said all he needed was something to beat soft steel on and knew I love to have the bigger anvil. He Was RIGHT!!

The info I can give is it is 29.5" from heel to horn tip the face is 4.25" across Sorry I didn't measure the hight. The makers name looks to be ground off with some extreamly shallow stamp over the bare spot or possibly still showing after the grinding. It has no handling hole under the horn Nore any number up there either. I can't remember if there was a handling hole in the back under the heel, but it tickles my brain that there may have been. Here are a few pics that clearly show the weight and serial number as well as over all shape. Thanks for all the help guys.

Robert

post-10781-0-87117500-1298078959_thumb.j

post-10781-0-34600600-1298079014_thumb.j

post-10781-0-82177600-1298079119_thumb.j

Looks like it is a Hay Budden or Arm and Hammer. I'm thinking it is probably a Hay Budden. Arm and Hammers had a cast base so you might see a parting line. As well, they were usually fairly rough under the heel.

Hay Buddens usually had a number stamped on the front of the waist and a number stamped on the side back towards the heel. If you can find any of these additional features, it will help narrow down the possibilities.

Some other things I thought of. It has a 1/4" round hole mid body on the oposite side. Maybe on purpose or maybe someone got bored I'm not sure. It has a nice ring as well as excellent rebound. I tried a couple different hammers on it and they bounced back up to where they started or real real close.

As I'm not set up for forge work at the time I am storing it in my dads barn. I'll have to look for more marks next time i'm over.

Robert

Added....

Okay went looking and found on page 2 Iron Striker has pics of a 190 lb Hay Budden after comparring side by side they look strikingly simular! Sorry about the pun by it was in excellent taste!

Hay Buddens and Arm and Hammers were stamped with the weight in pounds, not with the stone weight system so '204' would stand for 204 pounds. Both Hay Buddens and A&H's usually had the weights stamped on the side, although there is a A&H on ebay now that had the weight stamped on the front of the foot, similar to Trentons. The serial number fits into both HB and A&H numbering systems.

Robare, when you look at the anvil again, try to get some pictures of the underside of the base as well. This can also help in identification.

Robar, when you look at the anvil again, try to get some pictures of the underside of the base as well. This can also help in identification.

The anvil is still mounted to oak block it came with so I couldn't get pics of the bottom. I'll see how my dad's back is feeling next time I'm over. I'll also get more and better pics next time.

Robar