I Forge Iron

Vulcan Anvil Should I buy it?

Guest DanielT

Guest DanielT

I found someone selling a 100 poundish Vulcan anvil for only around $100
I have attached the couple pictures I have gotten.

Is Vulcan a good anvil? I believe it is cast iron bottom and steel face which should be okay for a starting blacksmith like myself.

The same guy has a 200 lbs peter wright but most of the face seems to be broken off but is only $150 but I don't have anyway to fix it but if someone else is interested let me know and I can play matchmaker.

Thanks,
Daniel

post-17658-0-19415600-1297989546_thumb.j

post-17658-0-51459600-1297989556_thumb.j

I would love to have the PW anvil but, that's a bit far for me to travel. As far as the Vulcan goes. It's not a bad price for it. From the looks of the pics. The anvil has several years left in it. If you are not going to be doing heavy work on it, the anvil should be ok. If the $100 wont break you. It would be a good anvil to start out with until you found another.

Sad about the PW. Since most beginning blacksmiths have used a section of RR track as I did and I was just looking at a post with a blacksmith who started with a rock as his anvil, I would not turn down a $100 100lb anvil even if it is a less than top quality make. It will most undoubtedly serve you well till another one comes along.

I would have jumped on it when I first started.

Mark<><

I would jump on that Vulcan for $100.
You can always sell it if you progress to where you want a better anvil.

Any 100 pound anvil starts out at $250 around here - even in much worse shape than your photos show

What kind of work are you planning to do ?
Do you want something that is portable or do you have a permanent shop for it ?

A 100 pound anvil is too small for large work. It will be fine for small stuff though.
I have a 73 pound Trenton myself - but I have to carry it up and down a flight of stairs every time I use it.

I plan to build a shed next year and I've been looking for a larger anvil to keep in there.

Guest DanielT

I don't have a shop so it will be getting moved out of the garage everytime I use it.
I think I will go with this anvil as it seems to be pretty good and no one has anything bad to say about Vulcan or the price.
For a while I will only be working on small stuff as I am just starting out so it should work well and worst case I could hopefully sell it and get my $100 back.

Thanks

I'm wondering that also (about the Peter Wright). I have one except it's a 500 lber, but the one you're showing just doesn't seem to have the same lines. Is there writing on the far side?
I have about a 75 or 80 lb. Vulcan (Arm & Hammer) and its portability makes it really handy.

Guest DanielT

I'm wondering that also (about the Peter Wright). I have one except it's a 500 lber, but the one you're showing just doesn't seem to have the same lines. Is there writing on the far side?
I have about a 75 or 80 lb. Vulcan (Arm & Hammer) and its portability makes it really handy.

Not real sure on the Peter Wright, that is just what they guy said. I went and bought the Vulcan and did a quick look at the PW but I didn't see any markings jumping out at me.
I told the guy selling it that unless he has a friend that can mill the face flat again that he just has a really heavy boat anchor or decoration for someone else.

He also had a couple large post vice but I am just starting so didn't need something that big for $75.