I Forge Iron

M&H Armitage Anvil

I have a M & H Armitage Anvil - in good condition. It was passed down to me and wondering what it is worth? it has a stamp on the outside M&H Armitage Mouse & Hole 0 - 3 - 16 followed by several dots.

weight is about 97lbs and is located in Texas.

I am looking to sell it.

post-18289-0-72642700-1297776758_thumb.j

Hey thorm. Pretty good on the weight. The numbers say that it weighs 100 lbs. You are probably more accurate.
Welcome to IFI.
The cost really depends on where you live. If you are in the Ohio area then there may be a lot of anvils available.
They can go anywhere from $2 a pound to $6 or even higher. ebay tends to have people that think their anvils have a gold core and the prices go crazy high.
Were you thinking of selling or starting to blacksmith?
Where do you live?

Numbers: 0 x 112 = 0
3 x 28 = 84
16 x 0 = 16

0 + 84 + 16 = 100lbs

Mark<><

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! I have paid as little as $60.00 for my 105# Hay Budden and $325.00 for my 185# Haby Budden. If either of them had been passed down to me by a family member the $$ would definitely be higher p/lb!

Where in TEXAS are you located? I'm just out of Longview---about 120miles east of Dallas. My I suggest that update your profile giving your location? Also, if you are not busy this coming Sat., Feb 19, let me invite you to the Lee Brother's meeting in Bryan, Tx. Here is more info http://habairon.org/

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! I have paid as little as $60.00 for my 105# Hay Budden and $325.00 for my 185# Haby Budden. If either of them had been passed down to me by a family member the $$ would definitely be higher p/lb!

Where in TEXAS are you located? I'm just out of Longview---about 120miles east of Dallas. My I suggest that update your profile giving your location? Also, if you are not busy this coming Sat., Feb 19, let me invite you to the Lee Brother's meeting in Bryan, Tx. Here is more info http://habairon.org/

I am in Austin TX - just updated my profile - cannot make it to Bryan this weekend as I have another obligation.

Hey thorm. Pretty good on the weight. The numbers say that it weighs 100 lbs. You are probably more accurate.
Welcome to IFI.
The cost really depends on where you live. If you are in the Ohio area then there may be a lot of anvils available.
They can go anywhere from $2 a pound to $6 or even higher. ebay tends to have people that think their anvils have a gold core and the prices go crazy high.
Were you thinking of selling or starting to blacksmith?
Where do you live?

Numbers: 0 x 112 = 0
3 x 28 = 84
16 x 0 = 16

0 + 84 + 16 = 100lbs

Mark<><

I have to agree with Mark here.

If you're looking to unload it quick and make a bit of coin - keeping it at around $2.00 / lb will ensure a pretty quick sale - 100lbs is a nice starting size and $200.00 is a reasonable amount most beginner smiths would be able to handle.

In my opinion, the higher in price beyond $2.00/lb you go, the longer you're going to wait for a buyer. More than $200.00 starts to get pretty steep for someone who is just starting out and doesn't want to invest a lot of money into a hobby they're still unsure about - and 100lbs is a bit on the small size for most experienced smiths who may have the money but are looking for a heavier weight anvil. Though ... 100lbs is a good travel size ...

When prices start getting up in the $6.00/lb and up, the wait can get REALLY long. Besides, - $600.00 for a 100lb used anvil? - I know if I had $600.00 burning a hole in my pocket I would seriously reconsider and look into possibly getting a NEW cast steel anvil for a bit more cash instead.

So it's a bit of a tricky call ... are you looking to sell quick, or are you willing to wait longer and hold out for more money? Prices can vary from region to region - heck I've even seen them vary from season to season.

Good luck. It's a nice looking anvil - hope it goes to someone who will appreciate it.
Sam.