I Forge Iron

Valley Hot Box Quantum Forge

Foaming Mug

Hi everyone first post I have made here, right now i am using a homemade coal forge, and have restored a champion no. 40 blower just recently. However I live a town and can only use my coal forge on weekends at a buddy's place in the country. I want to step up my learning curve by moving metal during the week as well using a gas forge. I do not have the free time atm to build one myself and keep swinging a hammer as well so I am going to purchase a premade forge. I was wondering if anyone uses a Valley Hot Box Quantum Forge??????? I have found info on most other brands but would like a little more knowledge on these. I am going to be doing mostly decorative work from small to hopefully gates and railings in the future, and i like the firebox size and the pass through. pieh says is uses about 1lb 1/2 a hour on fuel for forging temps and more for welding, i would love to see if any users can confirm this as well
thanks
mug

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! Sorry, can't help ya on the forge question but I'll bet if you give your location there is someone fairly close that could help you. Also, we could help direct you to an ABANA group near you and you could possibly 'test drive' a few gas forges before you make a purchase. Anyway, good luck with your search and enjoy the site!

Hey Muggsy! the North Texas group meets this coming weekend, not sure just where but here is their web site http://ntxba.org You can check there for the location of the meeting. Great bunch of folks over there. Also, I would like to invite you to the meeting in Bryan, TX at the shop of Alan and Jeff Lee. It will be on Feb 19. They are having a "mini conference" at their shop, it will be a combined meeting of HABA and Balcones Forge monthly meetings. James Johnson, MR. Anyang--he's the Anyang distributor for the USA, will have a power hammer to test drive as well as Chili Forge gas forges will be there and they will have a Chili gas forge to "test drive". I'm going and would like to see you there. YOu are also welcome at my place anytime, just give me a holler before you head this way...I still have a "real" job that gets in the way sometime....Thank You LORD, I still have a job.

Hey guys thanks for the info, and Thomas I am trying to get my schedule clear for the abana meeting and the feb 19th demo I would love to go to both and actually meet some more smiths, at the moment me and my buddy are pretty much doing this by reading and trial and error, already signed up on the north texas abana website as well. once agian thanks for the warm welcome guys really awesome.

• 1 month later...

Hi Foaming, I've used a Hotbox for years, shoeing horses, worked my way through two of them!

My single burner gets hot enough to make shoes and the double should be fine for welding though the depth is a little restricted. Fitting a door with an opening for stock might increase the heat.