I Forge Iron

Hawkeye power hammer

I have had this wood framed power hammer for quite a while. It has a steel cone-shaped anvil base with a (I think I have the terminalogy right} sow block with interchangable bottom dies. The anvil is bolted to a wood base that has wood up rights. The top shaft is bolted to this wood frame as is the sliding weight. The spring is a upside down U. It appears to have been powered by a overheas lineshaft with the belt tightner acting as a clutch that has a spring activated brake. On the side of the anvil base is Hawkeye Mfg.; Cedar Rapids, Ia.; 1. It appears the top die is quick-change also. Thank you all for any and all information. I hope to be able to post pictures in the next couple of days. Armand Tatro

i have one a number 3 from them that i am in the prosess of restoreing they were in buisness for a number of years and seem to have done fairly well.. there are a few people that own them and one member here dod a complete resto of one with pictures (looked real good in fact it is why i bought one) i dont know how well it works but will eventually find out!

post-3127-0-58924800-1296482461_thumb.jp

i have one a number 3 from them that i am in the prosess of restoreing they were in buisness for a number of years and seem to have done fairly well.. there are a few people that own them and one member here dod a complete resto of one with pictures (looked real good in fact it is why i bought one) i dont know how well it works but will eventually find out!

My Hawkeye #1 is not a helve style hammar. It is a upright with a spring shaped like the Champion # 3 in D. Ravizza's post. The only difference is my Hawkeye # 1 has a wood frame. Armand

My Hawkeye #1 is not a helve style hammar. It is a upright with a spring shaped like the Champion # 3 in D. Ravizza's post. The only difference is my Hawkeye # 1 has a wood frame. Armand

really! i wonder if its from the same company? i bet its a homemade with the bottom off of a hawkeye helve .. as far as i can find (from the book pounding out the profits) hawkeye only made helve hammers. that dosnt say that your hammer isnt good it probably works just fine! there were quite a few blacksmith made hammers in the old days(just like now) and useing wood beams was cheaper (and easyier ) than steel...but your chances on finding anyone with knowledge on this hammer is small...good luck!

I have had this wood framed power hammer for quite a while. It has a steel cone-shaped anvil base with a (I think I have the terminalogy right} sow block with interchangable bottom dies. The anvil is bolted to a wood base that has wood up rights. The top shaft is bolted to this wood frame as is the sliding weight. The spring is a upside down U. It appears to have been powered by a overheas lineshaft with the belt tightner acting as a clutch that has a spring activated brake. On the side of the anvil base is Hawkeye Mfg.; Cedar Rapids, Ia.; 1. It appears the top die is quick-change also. Thank you all for any and all information. I hope to be able to post pictures in the next couple of days. Armand Tatro

post-9958-0-12035700-1297025641_thumb.jp