I Forge Iron

new smithy or forge

ahh at last we move into our new place on 2 and a half acres ,always wanted a small piece of bushland ,now to build a forge ,have a colonial idea for the building ,slab building built out of the many giant gum trees that will have to come down,way to close to our home ,am up for ideas that maybe can help in the final choice,love to see your pics ,cheers ,glen

My dream would be to have a shop that's a replica of the original John Deere blacksmith shop. A Google search should find you a picture. From memory a replica of the original is in illinois and is on the National Register of Historic Places. I'm sure our friends in the USA can provide more info. If you can cut enough timber..........who knows. It would fit in well in the Gympie surrounds.

Hey Glenn. Here's a link to the John Deere blacksmith shop in Grand Detour, ILL, USA. Hope this helps. Good luck. :D
http://www.waymarkin...Detour_Illinois
http://johndeeregatorforum.com/forum/showthread.php?10339-Inside-the-Replica-Blacksmith-Shop-in-Grand-Detour-IL.-John-Deere-Historic-Site.

The second link shows a couple of pretty nice pics.

I'd go with colonial architecture, got any good examples around those parts to "copy"? I'd go with wide eves all around the place and perhaps rolling "barn doors" next to the forge area so you can really open it up when it gets hot! Don't recall if you are in the wet or dry part of that continent; but a tin roof is good for either!

And folks this is why I harp on "location" colonial where he's at is not the same as "colonial america" is not the same as "spanish colonial america", etc...

back on again nothing like confusing the telco with a move ,a lot of good ideas ,that john deere smith is a beauty,here in gympie there is a couple of decent old slab built consructions at two good old pioneers villages ,thinking of a blend of old rock that lies around our place and iron bark trees that there are a heap of on our place ,thanks all when i learn to put pics on forums will send some in ,cheers ,glen :D