I Forge Iron

A few power hammers

Ironstein, I went to visit the blacksmith who had been sharpening bits for 43 years. His family has had 5 generations of blacksmiths. He is number 4 and his son is number five. Here are some pictures of their hammers so you can see the dies in them. I still have not finished mine yet but will post a picture when it is done.

post-6037-0-65437700-1295908306_thumb.jp

post-6037-0-73617500-1295908313_thumb.jp

Thanks HW. I would buy one of those hammers if i could keep the noise down. I have great neighbors, but a power hammer would push them over the edge! I know they are converted to air, but the price sure is right. I would like to get some dies made for my press for jackhammer bit forging. I gave those five bits i forged back to the rental yard. They were very happy. I cautioned them that they should test them first since i am no pro. We will see how they work. I heat treated them like Grant suggested, tempered them and made sure to keep the heat in the first inch and a half.

Thanks HW. I would buy one of those hammers if i could keep the noise down. I have great neighbors, but a power hammer would push them over the edge! I know they are converted to air, but the price sure is right. I would like to get some dies made for my press for jackhammer bit forging. I gave those five bits i forged back to the rental yard. They were very happy. I cautioned them that they should test them first since i am no pro. We will see how they work. I heat treated them like Grant suggested, tempered them and made sure to keep the heat in the first inch and a half.

Glad it worked out for you!

Everone is worried about power hammers and there neighbors. I have found more are bothered by grinders than a power hammer.