I Forge Iron

Forged Eyebolts

Back in August and September I posted a thread in non-blacksmithing about rebuilding the Bridgeton Covered Bridge. I had written of being asked to make 2 duplicate eye bolts to match the six existing eyebolts on the bridge foundation. The rods that go through these eye bolts fasten the bridge to the foundations. Dan Collom the contractor rebuilding the bridge provided me with 2 - 4' lengths of one of the original 2" tie down rods that was mistakenly cut up by the county right after the bridge was burnt down. Luckly this was the only rod of the original 6 that got cut up.
I promised pictures and finally got the film developed tonight.

Poor Clifford came down the lane as I was just getting started and got drafted as the striker. We didn't have anyone to take pictures as we double teamed the rod but I did get a sequence of the first rod being straightened and then a couple finishing cleaning up the hammer marks.

I would be the fat guy with the hair, sweat and no safety glasses.

JWB

1358.attach

1359.attach

1360.attach

1361.attach

1362.attach

1363.attach

1364.attach

These are pictures of me straightening one of the remaining 5 2" hold down rods. The fire and collapse of the bridge twisted them up pretty good. I also had to remove the top square head nuts so the rods could go back thru the upper plate (lots of heat from the rosebud and a 36" pipewrench removed all but one).

JWB

1365.attach

1366.attach

1367.attach

next time 2 hammers a 6 or 8 lb sledge held against one flat of the nut, a hand hammer to hammer on the opposite flat , all the way around. This process breaks up the rust holding the nut to the bolt and also makes it slightly larger, a little heat and some Marvel Mystery oil sqirted on and work it back and forth a little and it will usually just screw right off. FWIW

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I went to a 3 day show and haven't had time to log on.

Irnsrgn,
Thanks for the tip. I will try that next time I have a chance.

AM,
I'd like to tell you I forge welded the two eyes I made but I did not. After forging the eyes they were mig welded and then the weld was hammered out and dressed up.

JWB