I Forge Iron

My Anvils

I bought large anvil from a scrap dealer I know. I work for a used forklift dealer and we scrap a lot of trucks so the standing deal I pay 2.5 times what he pays us so I got this one for less than 30 cents a pound. I believe it was 172 pounds and has a serial number of 220627. I made a stand out of two pieces of 1 inch steel welded together to make a 2 inch thick top and 3 inch hydraulic shaft for legs

The swage blocks I bought used from someone who did not know what they were or what they are worth and made the stand out of 1 inch plate and 3 inch hydraulic shaft

the small anvil on the swage block is my first railroad track anvil

the two stakes I bough off ebay. I had cancer then got a bad staff infection so for better of two years I had time but no energy do do anything but go to work, go to the hospital and slack so I bid a ton of stuff but only got a few things that slipped the cracks cheap.

The small anvil next to the swage block was given to me by a friend. It was his grandfathers. I made a stand of 8 X 1/2 dom tubing with piece of 3 inch hydraulic shaft going down the middle from the top to the leg supports and a piece of 2 inch plate cut from a forklift fork.

now in spring when it is warmer than the 10 degrees it is out now I am going to build a gas forge.

post-16767-0-14234600-1295726805_thumb.j

post-16767-0-26201200-1295726751_thumb.j

post-16767-0-08931900-1295726773_thumb.j

post-16767-0-43636400-1295726789_thumb.j

That big one looks kind like my Trenton. If it's a Trenton, that serial # says it was made between April 1945 and Feb. or Mar. 1947. Hay-Budden used a similar numbering system. If it's a Hay-Budden, that serial # says 1915. Wire wheel the sides and see if you can find the brand name. Hope this helps. :)