I Forge Iron

My new forge build

garbear

Nice job on the forge. I agree with Hillbilly about the top pipe. It may never get hot enough to matter but why take the chance. I thought about making a forge out of a disc but a brake drum presented itself so I went that way. I still may use a disc to make a portable forge for demos since there are plenty laying around the farm.

My other thought would be to make sure that you have the base securely fastened or weighted down. It is probably pretty stable now but once you fill it with coal and start poking iron around it may tip. That would be "bad".

Good luck with it. You are on your way!

Mark<><

Looking good. Mine is made out of a plough disk as well and its a beauty. How have you made your tyuere? As for the galvanised top pipe, you could take it off, walk into the open AWAY from everything, build a largish fire and toss it in. Move right away then get it out when the fire has burnt itself out. No more zinc to worry about.

I have run it using a blow dry. The pipe has stayed cool. I was planning on bruning the zinc of sometime this week. I have a brush pile to burn. Today I welded a plate on the side and bolted on a old stove blower. I have a 4" dryer metal dry vent just need to clamp that on. The base is very stable. last thing i need is a way to control the air and weld on a screen. Last screen I burned up. Thanks for the help. I'll post some pics after it is completed. I was excited and proud of my work
Garbear

th_forge001.jpg

th_forge003.jpg