I Forge Iron

What type of burner for first gas forge?

DUNSTAN

Hello , I am in the process of building a gas forge , have only used a coal forge for the last 7 years. Before cutting into my 10"x10"x14" box, I would like some wisdom on the best placement and type of burner is the best. And what type is also the most efficient.

post-5014-0-62324100-1293121536_thumb.jp

post-5014-0-09703600-1293121583_thumb.jp

post-5014-0-37265100-1293121651_thumb.jp

post-5014-0-53161400-1293121691_thumb.jp

Hello , I am in the process of building a gas forge , have only used a coal forge for the last 7 years. Before cutting into my 10"x10"x14" box, I would like some wisdom on the best placement and type of burner is the best. And what type is also the most efficient.

For the best And most information go to the ABANA website. Scroll down to the link for Ron Reil. Go there and study all the info. He covers burner design, different styles of burners, sizes, computing burner size vs forge volume, etc.
Read as much as you need to, in order to make your decision. Placement of burner in forge is much discussed on this forum. Do some searching.

Check out Hybridburners. They have a web site just punch in Hybridburners.com. I have 4 of the 1" burners and I am in the process of build a big forge. The link to Ron Reil's page is awsome. The burners are not the cheapest but if you want to do it right the first time these are some of the best burners on the market.

Well I am building a ribbon burner but that is probably not a beginner project. The Rex burners are great but they won't teach you anything except how to buy. If that is tour goal then that is cool. You can also buy ribbon burners. If you want to build a burner, a T burner will blast the Reilly in performance and ease of build.

• 4 weeks later...

A little farther along, working on the gas piping.Thanks for the help.

I'm late to this party and you may already have settled on a burner design, but for efficiency and performance I'd actually recommend a simple blown burner. I like naturally aspirated burners for convenience, but blown burners are simpler to build and simpler to tune, and generally just require less fiddling to achieve very good performance. That's if you're trying to build your own NA burners, anyway.

What part of northern Indiana are you from? I grew up in Elkhart County.