I Forge Iron

Anvil Identification

Hello All,

I discovered three things of interest on my anvil this afternoon. I was cleaning off some old grime and what not off of it came acros three things,
One, was what I assume to be the makers mark. In a circular fashion is stamped the words "Solid Wrought" with a "2" stamped in the center of it.
Two, on the horn side foot are two "4"'s stamped on either side of the small hole on the foot.

Third and I think the most intersting is what I believe to be one the anvil's former user's name "H.A. KEBBY" and the date "JAN 1881" chisled on the side.

If anyone has some info on the makers mark or the numbers stamped on the foot feel free to let me know.

I have owned this Anvil for about 16 years. I purchased it at an Amish community auction in south east ohio. I felt pretty weird at the time being 15 years old and bidding against a 60 something Amish fellow.

Regards

Phil

I think it sounds like a Peter Wright to me. Are the feet of the anvil flat on the top for about .5" on the edge? Is it an English pattern? I'm not an expert, but I have a Peter Wright and poured over Anvils in America for a few months reading up.

Edit: Are there numbers to the left and right of the number in the center of the circle area? Those would be the hundred weights.

Yes, It has a flat area about .500 inch around the feet. It does have the weight stamped on either side of the maker's mark. It is a "1" then "2" then a "6". This does not include the the "2" in the center of the makers mark. I didn't believe that the numeral in the maker's mark would be included in the weight. That would be a total of four digits digits in the weight calculation and didn't seem to make sense. I plan on posting some pics this afternoon.

Yes it is an English pattern.

FYI, I used soapstone dust to make the marks show.

Cool. Sounds like a an old Peter Wright to me. Post some pics :)

If it was made back in 1880s (which it would seem like it was, or earlier) then the face is probably 3 or so different sections welded on to the body. You might be able to detect faint lines going across the face in a few spots. Sounds like a great anvil though :)

My Peter Wright is newer and was made between 1915 and 1925-ish. I like it. I think it be neat if it was a bit older, but I figure in a few years it will hit 100+, so I'll just wait for it.

yes i also was wondering about my little Peter Wright.

i have a #118 and here is what it looks like,

so if anyone has any info on this anvil let me know, just stuff like when it was made, who made it, and how much it would be worth today, what country it was made it... ect..

anything..

at all.....

Sqeez:

If I recall from Anvils in America.. If a Peter Wright says 'England' on it, after the patent, then it is likely produced after 1915 or so. Some law was passed at the time that required certain exports to be labeled like that. Peter Wrights stopped being produced around 1925 or 1935 I think... Since yours doesn't say that, then it likely before 1915. I think the only other distinguishing mark is whether or not the face plate is sectional. Those can be hard to spot however. Earlier Peter Wrights have sectional faces, and later ones were made from a single piece.

I don't know. I don't think Postman new. A lot of marks like that were batch marks or makers marks or inspectors marks. They changed, and either they weren't documented, or more then likely, the documentation just never survived once the company changed or closed.

If your at all curious about the background of anvils then I suggest getting your hands on Anvils in America by Richard Postman. I checked out a copy through intra-library loan. It is a really fun book to flip through.