I Forge Iron

Isolite Bricks..........?

Hi stu,
Off the top of my head that sounds like about the same size as the bricks we have over here (I am assuming "over here" means N. America) at least thats about the size of the ones I use. There is also another size that i have that are closer to 5"x1"x9" as opposed to the 4.5"x2.5"x9" but these are pretty old (early to mid 1900's) and were made by a semi-local company to line fireplaces.
My question for you: are those hard or soft bricks (soft bricks will crumble if picked with a screwdriver, hard bricks...won't, as much). They look like hard bricks, but looks can be deceiving...
-Aaron @ the SCF

Hi Aaron!

They are fairly soft, if you look at the first pic, you will see a chip in the brick, this was not there when I bought it, and they wrapped it up in bubble wrap, but by the time it came home and into the Dungeon it had this chip.

I guess hard ones would be better, last longer?

I think I could cut these with a wood working saw, (not a new good one!) and it would not seriously damage the blade, they are "Chalky" if that makes any sense.

Cheers!

Stu,
Actually "chalky" makes perfect sense. These are the type of bricks we used in the ceramic kilns at college. Yes, the hard bricks last MUCH longer. We cut them one time with a utility knife (scored all for sides and snapped it in two).

I left you a post over on your other thread about the gas forge concerning the bricks and where to look, etc.

You might be better off ordering some of the refractory blanket (a.k.a. Kaowool or refractory fiber or refractory fabric along with many other terms). I've never been a fan of gas forges, but IF I remember correctly, it takes alot longer for the forge to come up to temp (therefore using more gas) with bricks than with the refractory fabric. This is because if the bricks are cold, they will cool the air inside the forge. The fabric heats up much quicker, making it more efficient. If you go to link removed at the request of anvilfire  they carry refractory fabric in their online store. It is more expensive short term, but if it saves on gas, it will pay for itself.
-Aaron @ the SCF

Disclaimer: I am not an employee or affiliate of anvilfire in any way , nor do i stand to make any profit from their gain.

Use the soft bricks. They insulate FAR better than the hard bricks, and come up to temp as much as 20x faster. I wouldn't be ordering Kaowool from the states if I had firebrick available at that price.

$6.50 a brick is not bad?

I have no idea, as I've only found them in ONE shop here...?

Thanks T-Gold!

Aaron, thanks to you as well, any and all help it MUCH appreciated!

I think I can get the Kaowool here, but it might take some digging, so we shall see.

Cheers!