I Forge Iron

building a multi-way spliting wedge

I got to looking at some pictures of some industrial wood splitters and it has me wanting to build one of those 6 or 8 way wedges for our wood splitter. Our hyd splitter is more than big enough to handle it, but also it brings up the problem of building something like this that won't bend if we get something too hard in it. Anyway just was trying to find someone that has built one of these and might have some ideas (or plans) for a strong one. Also what would be the best angle to cut the wedges at so they don't jam?

Out here the wood that we get does not have a straight grain, lots of knots and burls in it, so the best wedge here is just plain ol single type, and they work much better when they are affixed to the end of the splitter beam as opposed to being attached to the moving ram, when a log gets stuck on the ram you have to strip it off if it gets stuck on the wedge that is welded to the beam you can just throw another log in and drive it through

1"x 4" should be good. Nice if you could weld a set of wings off the back to pop em apart. 1/4" plate for the back part. If you can, make the unit slip over your single wedge. Twisted, or notty or elm may not go through the four way. Also it is a good idea to have the vertical cutting edge a couple inches ahead of the horizontal. If you really want the lowdown on wood splitters, check out Hearth.com

Thanks for all the help.I went out and checked and it is a 5" cyl. I'm going to rework it with a push foot on the ram and the wedge at the end of the I-beam.That way I can make a quick change 4 way and maybe a 6 way that can be slipped over the wedge and locked with a pin.