I Forge Iron

Swage Block Stand

I got this chunk of wood (doug fir) a while back, it was intended for use as a swage block stand. I finished the work on it today, i used cross bars to hold the pieces together (Tom Clark used this for his swage block) I forged the ends on some round stock into a square taper and just pound them in, should be easy to pop out to rearrange as needed
post-10376-0-34437300-1290566753_thumb.jpost-10376-0-25908600-1290566760_thumb.jpost-10376-0-08107000-1290566766_thumb.j
Tools required- chainsaw, router, belt sander 2 or 3 - 12 packs of beer

Ya my brother goes to the local lumber yard for material on a regular basis so the guys know him. I got him to go over there with me to find a piece of heavy timber, and we did this was a left over cut off of doug fir that had been sitting there for a few years, so it was nice and dry. This thing was huge 9 3/4 x 21 inches and was about 5 feet long, all clear heart wood. It is very solid, using the end grain. And the guys at the lumber yard were happy to get rid of it, saves them having to recycle it
ironstein-Your web site is pretty cool, you have a great wife to be supportive of your hobby. Mine still looks at me funny sometimes but she is a great supporter as well, especially when I make something for her

Ya Thomas a clean shop is the sign of a sick mind, I know what you mean about finding time, I am working two jobs now, welding pipe on the weekends good to be back to work after a year off. You should have seen the saw dust after I ripped about 6 inches of that beam off with my chainsaw, made a good bed of mulch around the apricot tree

You have the right idea. Get it up high enough so it's convient to use and so you can use all sides of the block. It doesn't need to be so massive though. You need to be able to stand up close to it to be able to get good hammer blows with out leaning over. This one was just cut out using a chain saw. The angle iron keeps the flat side located on top. It's also easier to flip it around at this height.

post-1310-0-90326300-1290830758_thumb.jp

post-1310-0-39630000-1290830833_thumb.gi

post-1310-0-66173100-1290830936_thumb.gi

I know the sides may get in the way, my original plan was to make it just a couple of inches bigger than the blocks, then I came up with this design and I figure that I can use the extra area on the block for forging, as I need a stump in the shop anyway