I Forge Iron

Spotted a Peter Wright

This is my first post and I haven't made an introduction at all. I'm not a troll or looking to sell anything. However, I spotted a Peter Wright anvil in a junk store in Boerne, TX on Saturday and I thought that y'all would like to know about it. The man said that it weighed 158 lb. It did have 119 stamped on it(I think), but I don't remember how to read the weights. He wanted 400 for it, but he might be able to be talked down a little bit. I'm green to smithing and I didn't speak much to him about it. He probably thought I was going to make it some kind of decoration. I don't have that kind of cash right now so I can't purchase. But I wanted y'all to know about it. The anvil was in pretty good shape, the edges may have been chipped a little. The man may have a great past with the anvil, but I didn't have time to talk with him.

Jared

It did have 119 stamped on it(I think), but I don't remember how to read the weights.

First number is 112 hundred weights in pounds
Second number is 28 or 1/4 hundred weight in pounds
Third number is the left overs.

119 stamped on the anvil is 112 + 28 + 9 = 149 pounds

$400.00 for a 149 lb anvil is $2.68 /Lb. A bit steep in my mind. Try making an offer, and/or arranging a payment plan. Taking pics and posting them will give us a better idea of it's condition and help us to advise you.Be sure to get a good pic of the "Label" side, as the markings tell a lot about when it was made.