I Forge Iron

Fire brick forge

mrkiddi

I agree! Your paint skills rock!

Will you have 5 air holes supplying the fire? That should give you a nice long fireball.

Of course thats 5 places to keep clean and you will have to master even air flow and even heat.

But I think you can handle it.

I like it! :D Let us know how it works out.

Mark<><

I agree! Your paint skills rock!

Will you have 5 air holes supplying the fire? That should give you a nice long fireball.

Of course thats 5 places to keep clean and you will have to master even air flow and even heat.

But I think you can handle it.

I like it! :D Let us know how it works out.

Mark<><

HAHA! thanks :P i was thinking about 5 holes...might do more just a little smaller :)
i will update this thread until i'm finished!

Smaller holes will be harder to keep open. One guy I know got tired of clearing small holes in a pipe similar to what you have. He would up taking an angle grinder and turning the holes into a groove.
Also you could use a pipe inside your air pipe with a cap on the end to create a sliding baffle that would let you have a smaller fire (and save fuel) when you didn't need a long fire. Add another fire brick to keep the fuel in place.

ron

ok i realize your looking to make knifes but... the only time you need to heat the entire leingth is when hardening/heat treating... when forgeing you only need to heat as much as you can forge in a heat. in fact if you heat up too much of the blade and dont forge it and repeat this its not good for the steel and you will loose some to scale.haveing said that the basic dezign is sound .just remember the bigger it is the more coal it eats also!