I Forge Iron

My first pair of tongs

Mad Dawg

Hello guys,

I wanted to introduce myself, as I just joined the forum. I've been lurking here and some other sites for a month or so now. I finally jumped in and forged myself my first pair of tongs yesterday and I'm stoked. If i can figure i'll how to post a pic I will include it at the end of this post.
They are not totally done as they need to be riveted together and adjusted. I was hoping to get some advice on the best way for a noob to rivet. The tongs turned out better'n expected so now I'm afraid to mess them up. I was planning to hot rivet them with a piece of 1/4" inch round stock, but on a practice run I didn't do very well forming the head of the rivet. I don't have any tools 'cept a hammer and flat chunk of metal I use for an anvil, along with a makeshift forge I made. Anyhow I mostly wanted to say hi. I also really enjoyed my afternoon making the tongs, I just may be hooked.

Later,
Mark

Congrats on making a set of tongs, I have been working on tongs for a while now, trying to get them to look nice as well as function.
on making a rivet I use a "rivet header", a piece of round stock about 1 inch in diameter and 1 inch tall, with a hole drilled Slightly larger than my rivet diameter is going to be.
I will heat up a piece of round stock that is going to be my rivet and cool every thing but the tip that is going to be the head.
Then i put it in to the "rivet header" and use a ball peen hammer to make the head.
(unless i am wrong you should allow for 1 and a half times the diameter of the rivet for making the head and also the peened side )
I am sure other members here will correct me if i am :P

also google rivet making and how to peen a rivet that will come up with some good info.

Thanks for the reply.. I will definately make that rivet tool. However I put the tongs together this morning. I heated up the quarter inch stock and dropped in and hammered both sides.. Not perfect, but I'm happy with it. And the tongs work great. I finished up a knife afterwards and drew the spike out on a ball peen hammer I am turning into a tomahawk. Had to quit to get ready for work, but had a nice productive morning :)

Later,
Mark

I'm pretty new too and finally made a couple rivet tools but for tongs I've been using 5/16" bolts that have an unthreaded section long enough to pass through the tongs. I cut off the excess length so I have about 5/8" sticking out - I've heated the whole "rivet" in the forge and used an o/a torch to just heat the end to be mashed; both worked just fine. Since I have a big bucket of 5/16" bolts, this is very economical for me.