I Forge Iron

Free forge

don't tread on me

A friend of mine gave me this forge and another one just like it. The other one is werthless becase of a big crack running threw it but this one is still good. I put a shovol handle as the pump handle and am going to put a lether belt on it when I get one. It has a small crack as you can see but someone bolted a 1\4 in steel plate over it to hold it together. I am going to change the blower to another one that I have becase this one only has 3 good blades. Other than that it is perty good and will work fine.

post-13733-0-48578600-1290013020_thumb.j

post-13733-0-51705200-1290013037_thumb.j

post-13733-0-91429000-1290013056_thumb.j

post-13733-0-56287300-1290013077_thumb.j

Don't say that the other forge is worthless because it has a crack thru it. My first rivet forge was completely cracked from the tuyere all the way out one side and had about an eighth inch gap in the crack. I used that forge for over 5 yrs before upgrading to a better one. It worked fine. The crack was just cosmetic and did not affect the use that it was intended for. Most of the forges that are cracked like that have had water poured into them to put out the fire while the forge was hot. Sad, but that's just the way it goes. Someone may be very happy to take that "worthless" forge off your hands just to get a starter forge for themself. Don't pitch it. My 2cents. :D

Don't say that the other forge is worthless because it has a crack thru it. My first rivet forge was completely cracked from the tuyere all the way out one side and had about an eighth inch gap in the crack. I used that forge for over 5 yrs before upgrading to a better one. It worked fine. The crack was just cosmetic and did not affect the use that it was intended for. Most of the forges that are cracked like that have had water poured into them to put out the fire while the forge was hot. Sad, but that's just the way it goes. Someone may be very happy to take that "worthless" forge off your hands just to get a starter forge for themself. Don't pitch it. My 2cents. :D

No it is werthless it has two cracks and I could proble brake the forge in half with my hands

The forge doesn't have to be strong. It just holds a fire. You could break it in half and then fasten it back together with straps and bolts and it would probably be as good as any other rivet forge. If you want it to be worthless that's your choice.

You're doing the right thing to get the best blower you can on your forge. Somewhere down the line you might want to try and copy the missing blade or make a new set. On my rivet forge the blades in the blower were cut out of a single sheet and then twisted.

If I lived closer to you, I'd come by and pick up that worthless forge.

Here's a tip to all newbies, don't pour water on your forge to put out the fire or for any other reason. The fire will go out by itself in 2-3 minutes if you just turn off the air and spread the coals out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

quote name='don't tread on me' timestamp='1290013091' post='197855']
A friend of mine gave me this forge and another one just like it. The other one is werthless becase of a big crack running threw it but this one is still good. I put a shovol handle as the pump handle and am going to put a lether belt on it when I get one. It has a small crack as you can see but someone bolted a 1\4 in steel plate over it to hold it together. I am going to change the blower to another one that I have becase this one only has 3 good blades. Other than that it is perty good and will work fine.