I Forge Iron

Another First Railroad tomahawk

Looks like you have the idea down, Eric. I'm gonna try to reverse that design and make a bearded spike hawk, as soon as I get time. Looks good. :D

it works great i did it for the first time the other day just make sure when you are doing the head keep it as straight as possible it will save you fron a world of hurt

I had one I started about a year ago, and just decided to get it done, nothin fancy, just a fun little time in the forge and some minor grinding, but of course my son saw it as a toy, I had to limit him as it is sharp enough to cut paper, doubt it will hold much of an edge though, heck of a paperweight eh?

post-4158-0-59847800-1290858832_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

From what I have read on other forums, RR spikes can sometimes make perfectly functional blades. Many are what most consider Medium Carbon blades. Machetes are usually medium carbon as well.(Cold Steel's are and they sell a who lot of them) Most can be hardened and then tempered back as well. I plan on doing a lot of work with RR spikes. Mostly because I can get them for free and while I am still learning and starting out I don't want to have to go buy material. Once I have learned better hammer control and skill, then I might go get me some nicer steel to work with. I also am looking forward to Trying a lot of different techniques as I progress, again if I mess up the Spike cost me pretty much nothing. And much more importantly, I hope to learn something from that mistake. But If they turn out looking and cutting good, than all the better.