I Forge Iron

Cold Saws

I've been looking for some time for a used cold saw. There are many out there and many opinions on them. I need one for my shop. I prefer one that is a bench model type that doesn't come with a stand. Also, I would prefer one that can cut a 45 degree angle from both side of the saw. I would appreciate anyones comments on their cold saw and what they think about the different brands out there. I think a 9 or 10" blade would be sufficient for my use.

I've been looking for some time for a used cold saw. There are many out there and many opinions on them. I need one for my shop. I prefer one that is a bench model type that doesn't come with a stand. Also, I would prefer one that can cut a 45 degree angle from both side of the saw. I would appreciate anyones comments on their cold saw and what they think about the different brands out there. I think a 9 or 10" blade would be sufficient for my use.

One of the most important things to look for in a cold saw and really any saw is will it hold the piece being cut securely.Especially during making a cut at an angle the vice or other holding device is the only thing that keeps the work from creeping and side loading the blade and causing it to fracture and fail.
The next thing to look at is when you move the blade away from a 90 degree cut does it lock down securely with no side play?
If you can find a good deal on a Scotsman saw I would snap it up as long as it met the above requirements.
They are robustly built and it takes a lot to kill them.

Yeah I dont know what Scotchman offers in a 8" or 9" but I have been really happy with my 14"...

There is a local Jet store that sells all of there surplus and scratch and dent stuff... they have the little Jet 9" saws which I think are made in Italy for about $700 new (dont quote me, if your interested I could get you a real solid price. The will ship it to you pretty cheap as well)

Monstermetal: If you could get me a price, that would be great. I do need one that can work off of 110 single phase power. Also, I do agree with Mainely Bob on the requirements as he has stated. I have seen Jet cold saws on Ebay, but have not thought of them since I don't have any experience with any of their equipment. How do they compare to Scotchman, Doringer, Baliegh, Dake, etc. Thanks for the input.

I have a Hyd- Mech 9'' bench saw that swivels 45* to the right. It's made in Italy. Maybe that explains why the blade turns towards the operator, different than any other saw I have ever seen. It's been a pretty good solid tool, quiet, and makes a nice clean cut. The only weak point is the coolant pump. It's nice and compact and runs on 110V, which is a big consideration with my small shop.

I got it from MSC. I think it was about $900 plus shipping.