I Forge Iron

UK source of Borax

Hi,I'm having difficulty sourcing borax for fluxing in the UK. I have been dabbling with band saw/strapping scrapmascus and have been using SIFBRONZE brazing flux, is this a suitable medium ?
I have been getting some good welds but usually with some scale inclusions and I don't know whether they are due to the type of flux or to my inexperience.
I am using a propane torch for the heat source.
Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated, thanks.
Jock.

Hi,I'm having difficulty sourcing borax for fluxing in the UK. I have been dabbling with band saw/strapping scrapmascus and have been using SIFBRONZE brazing flux, is this a suitable medium ?
I have been getting some good welds but usually with some scale inclusions and I don't know whether they are due to the type of flux or to my inexperience.
I am using a propane torch for the heat source.
Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated, thanks.
Jock.

Sifbronze will work OK, as will the Cast iron flux, some of the large supermarkets stock Borax, otherwise go to your nearest chemist or chemical supply company and ask if they can source some for you

If you are using propane as a heat source it will help to ensure workpieces are thoroughly cleaned of any surface finishes before assembling prior to welding.

Where in the UK are you located? It is easier to source borax in some areas than others.

I don't recall ever using SifBronze but I have used a number of brazing fluxes and they all worked very well for forge welding especially in a propane forge. Just a lot more expensive than buying plain borax from the laundry aisle in the supermarket. I think brazing fluxes are mostly borax anyway. I have also used plain borax to braze and that worked fine too :)

If all else fails you can buy it from the pottery supply houses mail order.

Hi there,

try this link for ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330316845506&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Hope it helps

Mick

I have heard that Borax has recently been replaced with borax substitute in the U.K. There's been a fair amount of talk about it on British Fora, so a chemist or online may be your best bet?

The old fashioned way was to use Boric Acid powder from the chemists (it's an antiseptec), spread on a baking tray and bake in the oven until crisp. Crumble it up to use.
Much better to go to www.gasforges.co.uk and buy some of Cecil Swans 'Magiweld'. They will post or your local farrier supply store will have it.