I Forge Iron

Forging video's showing various size stock (part 2)

I set up one of the demo Anyang 55 lb hammers and used a new Tabasco Chili forge to draw out four different sizes of stock. I forged 2" x 2" square stock and 1" X 4" stock the "hard or 4" way". All of these forgings were done with flat dies and one heat. This will give viewers an idea of the capacity of a self contained 55 lb hammer.

I wonder what it would sound like in there with all those hammers running at once? I had a Alex Bealer meeting at my shop one hot July day where we had a taper race of 1 /14" stock between a Sahinler 60, 250 Murray and my Niles 750, good times...

When I was visiting the Anyang factories last September, they had a seperate buiding where they tested and assembled the large C41-hammers (same style as the hammers that I sell). They would line up 10-12 hammers and have them all running at the same time... Most of these hammers had ram weights around 1,000-4,000 pounds. Pretty amazing, it was like listening to an industrial symphony. :D

Great videos James ! Nice to get them moving some proper metal :)

I demoed a 25 kg (55lb) at a conference a couple of years back, and a guy had a go on it, he seemed a bit so so about it and said it wasnt much more powerful than his turkish hammer, he looked a bit gobsmacked when I told him it was a 25, and it turned out his was a 40 kg machine :lol: