I Forge Iron

First blacksmiths conference

Michael

In Early October, I finally got around to attending my first gathering of blacksmiths, the Oktoberfest in Cazadero, a couple hours North of San Francisco. 200 smiths camping out on a big plot of land for the weekend, with the Education arm of the CBA supplying a half dozen forges, anvils, vises, 600 lbs of coal, materials, tools, a lit, covered work area and neighbors so far away the forges worked till midnight.
I learned more in three days there than the last 3 years of self taught bumbling out on my patio. Watched a smith make a dragonfly out of half inch square stock in a gob smacking reveleation of *Oh, THAT*S how you do it* and proceeded to make an ugly squarish version myself, on the left. Then burned the wing off my second one tried at home, looks like a mean kid caught it.

Third one is starting to look actually bug like!

I caught the last 20 minutes of a collaring demonstration when the smith (Mike Chisolm)giving the demo asked if anyone wanted to make the plant hanger he was showing. I raised my hand and was immediately swept up into a fast paced 5 hour project working three quarter inch stock with three other students as the instructor guided us through forging a tenon, using butcher chisels and set hammer, a fishtail scroll in half inch stock, my first forge weld and learning how to work with a striker swinging a ten lb sledge!

By the time the forges were shut down I had most of the work done, save the collaring to join the hook and the scroll, and the pivots the hanger swings on.
Got home tired , sore and inspired! Lit the forge the following weekend to finish the project, realizing I*d only caught the part of the demo on how to calculate the length of the collars, not how they were formed or closed. Back to blundering, but the project got done. Turned to the MAPP gas torch for a little spot heating to get the collars to close up. The hanger brackets were punched holes and then a right angle bend. This *Plant Hanger* is beefy enough to…well, hang a side of beef from. Its currently mounted outside the workshop,
but may find a home as a fireplace crane, alongside the fireplace poker, marshmallow toasting forks and dragon headed damper handle.

post-182-0-42728500-1288726541_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-68809400-1288726587_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-39201100-1288726616_thumb.jpg

I like that crane/hanger, that thing is massive and the joinery is cool.

/quote]

Thanks, I was wondering why we were working in such heavy stock. The lovely wife suggested it might be for clarity during a demonstration. Same project in 3/8 or half inch would still be strong enough to do chin ups on. I'm glad I'm not trying to work 3/4 square alone with a hand hammer.

Reminds me, how do I convince the 11 yr old to try striking for me?....