I Forge Iron

wood thread

Mmmm. I too wanted to make threads in wood. I thought a great big nut and bolt would make a great toy for my toddler. I managed in the end but sadly by that time he was a strapping eighteen year old.

You need to make the tap first so you can use it to make the die. Depending on the size of bolt make a suitable tap by either forging three or four blades onto a shaft or use a more modern approach if you like. No doubt you've seen many taps and have an idea of the size.

At this stage make the flanges parallel and the right diameter for the job. This diameter will be the diam of the stock you intend making the bolt out of. Explained in a different way...the tap should be able to fit nicely into a pipe with an ID of the above. This means the top of the flange needs to be rounded.

Now that it fits neatly into the pipe, make a solid cylinder by filling the flanges with clay, car bog or what ever and shove it back down the pipe. Remove and let dry. Now you have a solid cylinder with four strips of steel showing at the surface.

Next step. on a piece of paper, accurately draw a square with a width and height equal to the circumference of the tap. Divide the top and bottom of the square into 12 divisions. Draw a line from the top left corner of the square to the first mark on the bottom of the square. Call this a pitch line for want of a better term. Draw lines parallel to this first pitch line by drawing lines between the corresponding marks on the top and bottom of the square. Eventually you will run out of marks... just draw another square and carry on.

Wrap the paper around the tap blank making sure the square lines up and lo and behold you have a continuous thread line around the blank at a pitch that works pretty good in wood. Scribe through the paper onto the steel strips. You have now marked the thread line as it passes over each flange on the tap.

File each flange between these marks with a 3 corner file...parallel with the marks on either side and such that the top of the file is level. File away until you are left with a sharp peak without filing away the mark.

All that is left now is to file down the leading end to create a taper.

Let us know when that's all done and we can look at the die which I hasten to add will require some forging

1143.attach

There is a book available, but I am not sure how available it is in your neck of the woods. The book is by Roy Underhill, a rather famous American woodworker who has his own long running show on many public television stations in the U.S. I am not sure which book contains the instructions for the wooden screw tap and die, but a little internet research would probably reveal the exact publication.

My own personal opinion is to buy all of his books. Even though I focus alot on metal being a blacksmith, they are still wonderful reading.
-Aaron @ the SCF

Disclaimer: Neither myself or the Sandy Creek Forge are in anyway affiliated with Roy Underhill, it's just my personal opinion.

Strine,
Interesting! What is this wood you used to make the bolt and nut? It does seem that your tap and die did a great job (well you did the job).
So if I read you well, this first lesson is for the tap. While reading you I've drawn the following schematic. Is that what you mean?
Now my question is how to you make the 3 or 4 blades sharp so that they cut wood? Are they really blades or should we see them more as scrapers?

Aaron,
Yes I've heard about Roy. I wished I could watch his shows, it would be a great idea to make them available on DVD! Is there any address where to send him this suggestion? I will check in which book he explains the process.

irnsrgn, I know about thread boxes, but I wanted to make myself the size I want. And check out this link: prices are in the 100s of euros range.
Wood thread cutting tool and Dowel Maker

Ludo

1149.attach

kogatana
Your interpretation looks good to me.

The wood is redgum. This link describes the species in more detail

http://www.anbg.gov.au/cpbr/WfHC/Eucalyptus-camaldulensis/index.html

It was from a peice laying around in the shed. Ant dense, close grained hard wood should work allright.

how to you make the 3 or 4 blades sharp so that they cut wood

It is the face of the triangle forming the tooth that is "sharp" not the pointy bit at the top.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found the book from Roy Underhill, and a lot is explained exept I couldn't really understand how to forge the tap.
The author mentions using a U shaped fuller to form the "blades".
What is a fuller, and how should I do then to get the "blades" onto my steel cylinder (or bar stock)?

Ludo, Taiwan

A simple fuller can be made from a piece of round bar. Hold it over the work and hit it. Behold..it leaves a dent. For your tap however you may need to get a bit smarter. You will need a bottom fuller as well and a means of holding everything steady. Two round bars hinged together somehow will make a fine top and bottom fuller that can sit in the hardy hole.
Best advice I can give is to work it out with a piece of modelling clay using the tools you intend to work the iron with. Bon chance and keep us posted

Sometimes we forget about what the object is...

...and I may be confused. Not abnormal for me :) !

If the goal is threaded wood, not making the tool to do it then check out:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=41791&cat=1,43000

you might have to cut and paste...

Sometimes it's also prudent to look at different ways to tackle the same job. The link could provide inspiration for making your own.

To purchase this tool is a bit spendy--but it may be worth the time...

H
the
8th

Strine,

Ok, I get it now. I think the trick is also to find the appropriate size and shape (tapered bar or not tappered, cylinder, how thin/thick) versus the size of the tap to make, isn't it? I'll try to experiment.

henerythe8th,

Well my goal is to actually make the tap and then hopefully the die. I know the link you mentioned, but the equipement requires a router that I don't have. And if you go back to my previous post on the topic, you'll see a link to some tap and die that are prohibitively expensive.
Wood thread cutting tool and Dowel Maker

Ludo

I've been thinking about this all day and can't think why this won't work. Forge the two parts, slot them together and join with a welding heat. Allow a bit for loss and forge or file to final shape. Cut the teeth as previously described.

Main point is there's no pesky fullering to do:)

1352.attach

Geez, pictured are a commercial screw box and tap.

1. The screwbox with attached guide.

2. Guide removed showing the aluminum insert thread, the slot at the right top is where the square cutter bit is put and the brass bolt above is what secures it in place, The notch at the top is for the shavings to exit.

3. The Companion Tap.

4. A close up of the tap with a hollow center for chips to exit.

The above set is for 1.25 threads, I have another one for 3/4 threads.

1353.attach

1354.attach

1355.attach

1356.attach