I Forge Iron

Another anvil ID........

Shoot well worth the detour---maybe he'll have something else that's more in line---hammers, tongs, big pile of WI wagon tyres...and don't forget to leave your name and address. I bought a triphammer from an old farrier who "wasn't interested in selling it" till 3 days later he called and said "My wife has said I done been kicked in the head one too many times and I'm retired---come and get the hammer!"

Shoot well worth the detour---maybe he'll have something else that's more in line---hammers, tongs, big pile of WI wagon tyres...and don't forget to leave your name and address. I bought a triphammer from an old farrier who "wasn't interested in selling it" till 3 days later he called and said "My wife has said I done been kicked in the head one too many times and I'm retired---come and get the hammer!"

Exactly!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, it was worth the detour. It's not 300 or 360, it's 410 Peter Wright I went up, he came down, sold.
Forward edge has been radiused for about 4 inches, I'm not worrying about the chips for now. No cracks or welds.
Addition: after some wire-wheel it's not marked ENGLAND and the '18' may be a '13', or they may have used a '3' and a chisel to make '18'.

post-12484-0-18308300-1289242269_thumb.j

post-12484-0-01184700-1289242314_thumb.j

post-12484-0-76055000-1289242329_thumb.j

post-12484-0-77964900-1289242339_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...