I Forge Iron

anyone familiar with smithy 3 in 1 feedbar gears

ok so I got my smithy put back together from 3 parts and 20 boxes. the only thing I can't figure out is the feedbar drive gear assembly, I have 20 or 30 gears, which seem to be user changable to fine tune gear ratios, and a mounting plate of some kind and several other small parts that don't seem to fit anywhere else on the machine.

while everything elso on this machine works I wnt the feed bar to work as well

help

I`m guessing these things work like the feed screw on a lathe and the best bet is to find a manual.The manual will give you both a pic of the backing plate installed,hopefully with an exploded drawing and parts list,and a table or list of what gear goes where to get what feed speed.
Figuring this type of thing out without a manual can be done but I`d rather study Chinese calculus,it`s much easier on the brain. :blink:

it is the lathe feedbar. I have a manual with pictures but the backing plate and gears are all i can really make out. they are old fuzzy and black and white photos. as for chinese calculus, I agree it would be more fun.

there is actually a chart on the inside of the door showing gear ratios by the gear numbers, but that's not the hard part, its all of the extra parts that are that besides the backing plat and gears, the spindle shafts ,cotter pins circlips and such.

OK sounds like a typical change gear arrangement. Is there a diagram of a Y like item labled A B C etc? That Y like item is a yoke, and the gears fasten on per the chart to set feed rates for cutting or threading.

This is a copy of the Atlas information for my lathe. By virture of everybody copying everybody else as there are only so many integers of suitable value this is likely the same or similar to what you need.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/t/h/thib9564/Atlas_Lathe_Threading_Modern.htm

Phil

If your paperwork doesn`t cover what you need to know clearly enough then I`d go to one of the websites that hosts a forum for home shop machinists.Post a question asking there and be sure to tell them in the post the make,model and serial # of your machine(or post pics) and I`m sure someone there can steer you in the right direction.
What I find most helpful to me is the exploded drawings that come with the parts lists.Those are more useful to me when it comes to understanding what parts fit where than pics and text in the manual.
Remember though,I`m an odd duck who usually takes the long way around. ;)

Phil`s table and illustrations of the feed gears is an excellent example of what you need.Perhaps he`d be willing to share where he came up with it.

Phil`s table and illustrations of the feed gears is an excellent example of what you need.Perhaps he`d be willing to share where he came up with it.

I found that website while researching how to use my Atlas lathe.

a quick google of Smithy 3 in 1 turned up

http://www.smithy.com/manuals.php

Phil

Since the company is still around you can probably order an owner's manual to match the vintage of your machine.
Phil

I called them and the answer i got was a current model is essentially the same machine only with CNC capabilities added. they directed me to the same smithy website for the manual. Since posting this original question I haven't had time to look at the lathe, much less try to use it. I have the original owners manual but most of the pictures are of really poor quality. phil's link seems to be og great help. i think.