I Forge Iron

Propane Tanks

dagr8tim

all that so i can then cut them up....lol

that was interesting.

Knowing how they go together makes them easier to cut apart.

I wish they would have shown the valving tool better. I'm trying to build one from memory to allow me to safely remove the valve without cutting the collar off.

I had to have a new valve put in one of my bigger tanks and the guys at the propane distributor had it out and in in less that 10 min. so it can't be that difficult. It looked like they strapped it to a cradle of some kind on a work bench and had wrench and used real short quick strokes to loosen and twist it on out and then put the new valve in. It was sure a lot cheaper than buying a new bigger tank with the new mandated vale on it. Installation of the new valve was a third of the price of a new tank. :blink:
When ever I find an old tank with and old style valve rather than leave it on the curb side trash pickup I take it to the propane distributor and they are more than glad to get them for refurbishing for exchange to others. You drive up with your empty tank and they hand you a full one, no waiting for them to fill your tank. The last two times I went in I gave them four old empty tanks and the guy gave me a free full tank. :rolleyes:

I had to have a new valve put in one of my bigger tanks and the guys at the propane distributor had it out and in in less that 10 min. so it can't be that difficult. It looked like they strapped it to a cradle of some kind on a work bench and had wrench and used real short quick strokes to loosen and twist it on out and then put the new valve in. It was sure a lot cheaper than buying a new bigger tank with the new mandated vale on it. Installation of the new valve was a third of the price of a new tank. :blink:
When ever I find an old tank with and old style valve rather than leave it on the curb side trash pickup I take it to the propane distributor and they are more than glad to get them for refurbishing for exchange to others. You drive up with your empty tank and they hand you a full one, no waiting for them to fill your tank. The last two times I went in I gave them four old empty tanks and the guy gave me a free full tank. :rolleyes:

In the factory the tank was stood up and had 2 curved clamps that squeezed the tank and the actual wrench looked like a steel block with two "L"'s hanging down. There are pads on both sides of the valve that contact the flat parts of the "L" and spin it on the proper number of turns. It's less than 30 seconds in the factory to install or remove a valve.

Crap what was I thinking. Put a 3 ft bar thru the handles. A big cresent on the valve and off it came. Should I take the next one to the refiller? LOL
I will advise this. Even after standing with the valve removed and the tank filled with soapy water(2 days).Passing a flame across the hole brought a woosh and flame. if ya can pump argon or car exhaust into the tank first. Your laundry will thank ya. Yrs ago had a 55 gal drum used for coca cola extract light off
after cutting 15 inchs, Ya ain't lived till ya have had a sportster tank go 20 ft in the air on a colume of fire. Ya may survive but your shorts night not.
Just be careful with any tanks/drums or sealed tubes.
Ken.