I Forge Iron

ebay source for refractory

maddog

Just FYI:

Buying refractory mail order is always a hassle for me. The big guys like ANH dont like to sell one or two bags at a time and the shipping is expensive even if I buy from Ellis Custom Knifeworks.

I found this guy on ebay. http://stores.ebay.com/HIGH-TEMP-REFRACTORY-STORE?_rdc=1

He was very pleasant to deal with. He was willing to combine shipping on two 55lb bags of castable reducing the shipping cost from $53 per bag to about $30 per bag. He is knowledgeable about refractories, ( we chatted about hi phosphate rammables etc) and says he can get most anything ANH sells.

Just FYI:

Buying refractory mail order is always a hassle for me. The big guys like ANH dont like to sell one or two bags at a time and the shipping is expensive even if I buy from Ellis Custom Knifeworks.

I found this guy on ebay. http://stores.ebay.com/HIGH-TEMP-REFRACTORY-STORE?_rdc=1

He was very pleasant to deal with. He was willing to combine shipping on two 55lb bags of castable reducing the shipping cost from $53 per bag to about $30 per bag. He is knowledgeable about refractories, ( we chatted about hi phosphate rammables etc) and says he can get most anything ANH sells.

Great lead, thank you!

Frosty the Lucky.

I bought from this guy several years ago when I made my freon tank forge. He is very nice to work with and they have most anything you need as maddog says. I am about ready to get some more board from him. Gotta get started on that heat treating oven.

I've had good luck buying refractory from local refractory contractors. I've gotten insulating firebrick and insulating castable from a few within short driving distance, saving shipping. They were willing to sell small amounts, like a single bag or a few bricks. Usually it's stuff left over from a job.

I've had good luck buying refractory from local refractory contractors. I've gotten insulating firebrick and insulating castable from a few within short driving distance, saving shipping. They were willing to sell small amounts, like a single bag or a few bricks. Usually it's stuff left over from a job.

I was able to buy castable from a local boiler contractor at a reasonable price, but the selection was severely limited.

Interesting idea. I always thought those guys dealt mostly in fireplaces, pizza ovens etc and wouldnt have anything in the temperature regime we need for forging. I bought some insulating firebricks from the local pottery supply house and they melted into puddles of slag. Still its worth following up. Its the shipping thats the killer on this stuff. Often more expensive than the material itself.

Interesting idea. I always thought those guys dealt mostly in fireplaces, pizza ovens etc and wouldnt have anything in the temperature regime we need for forging. I bought some insulating firebricks from the local pottery supply house and they melted into puddles of slag. Still its worth following up. Its the shipping thats the killer on this stuff. Often more expensive than the material itself.

There are four in my area and all of them mostly dealt with big stuff like incinerators, kilns, etc. Look for places that are really industrial. None of these had showrooms or anything even close. It was interesting because I'm just some schmuck off the street looking to by a few bucks worth of stuff. Yet they were all really nice to deal with. But they'll have little variety of stock. Only leftovers from what their last job needed.

There are four in my area and all of them mostly dealt with big stuff like incinerators, kilns, etc. Look for places that are really industrial. None of these had showrooms or anything even close. It was interesting because I'm just some schmuck off the street looking to by a few bucks worth of stuff. Yet they were all really nice to deal with. But they'll have little variety of stock. Only leftovers from what their last job needed.

Thanks Marc!