I Forge Iron

Simple tool for inside measurements

maddog

This is a simple tool for taking an inside measurement. I find them very handy for checking diagonals of a frame to see it its square. I always find a tape measure awkward. Just a rod inside a tube.

post-2624-084686400 1287636379_thumb.jpg
The top three are 1/2" sq or round rod in a piece of square tubing. I welded in a fixed point at one end and drilled and tapped for a thumbscrew at the other. The bottom one is just 1/8" gas welding rod inside a piece of brakeline tubing. The fixed point is a piece of a nail. A small bend at one end of the sliding rod makes enough friction to hold the measurement in place.

post-2624-017485300 1287635888_thumb.jpg

post-2624-096185600 1287635891_thumb.jpg

(Originaly a mispost. Edited to respond to comments)

Glad you liked the idea. This is a wood working tool. Here is one I made out of maple when I was making cabinets. The lathes are held by a collar with a trapped wedge.

post-2624-096067900 1287955412_thumb.jpg
post-2624-051424400 1287955411_thumb.jpg

When I switched to metal work I couldn't give them up. But after setting fire to a couple while checking hot welds, I decided to rethink the design :)

Dodge, I scrounged the thumb screws from somewhere. Im sure the machine supply houses stock them but they arent really necessary. A regular socket head would probably be fine. Even just a dimple with a center punch would probably work well.