I Forge Iron

Bradley Helve Hammer

I know where there are two 200 lb bradleys for sale, both left outside, with rotted helves. Does anyone in here have experience making helves for bradleys? I think someone could make one with a good chainsaw and a drawknife!

I'm not in the market for one right now but curious , is a 200 lb. hammer a guided way?

Dick

Dick
That looks exactly like my old one. Your pics describe it much better than my words. I am not sure these helves were glued at all. I think that "key" holds it in line till the hardware goes on then it can't go anywhere. This could simplfy making a helve. Thanks again.

I'll bet my buddy with the wood shop won't have any trouble duplicating something like this, although I think I'll make it laminated, split it down the center, mill out the grooves for the 'key', and give 'er a go. ASm I correct in thinking that the originals were a single solid beam that had been cut instead of the laminations that are used now?

Matthew, I have a Bradley 60# Cushioned helve with the original helve along with a spare replacement helve made by Bradley. Both are laminated. Both are also tapered as you describe. I think the lamination is a good idea to counteract warpage and for strength. I guess I would compare it to a single piece of 3/4 inch wood compared to a piece of 3/4 plywood. The plywood is much stronger and more stable. By the way, the laminations on mine are vertically oriented. Good luck on the build, it has been really interesting to follow along!