I Forge Iron

caused a fire but welded cable I hope

Well I caused a fire today. Luckily I had the water hose near by. If it had gotten another 6 inches I would have been in trouble. There was a big brush pile that was on the edge of the woods and it would have taken more that my water hose to stop it than.

The good news is that I forge welded my first cable. I had it sparking a few times but not to bad and it seems aright. Later I'm going to forge it into a knife. The cable is used in concrete beams. My dad gets it a work were they put somewhere around 18 the entire length of the beams and stretch them to 30 or 80 thousand psi. I worked there at one time but forgot what the psi is but it is some were in that range. When they cut the beams lose it gives them a camber/arch. I heated up a peace to what I think was right(probably not though). Than quenched in water and taped with a hammer. It shattered and sounded like glass so it should be good for knives I hope.

be carfull when welding cable. i always clean my cable in muratic acid before i do any welding with it. my first time trying to weld cable something got trapped in the center (i think oxygen from the rust but i truly have no clue) and when i hit it it exploded quite violently and sent little shards or hot wire everywhere. i still have the scars on my stomach from where i had to pull out some of said wires. so please and i can't stress this enough. BE CAREFULL and prep wire before welding it, the chances of something like what happened to me happening again or happening to you are very slim but why take the risk?