I Forge Iron

First Pair- Suggestions?

jw223

post-7628-036620800 1286051660_thumb.jpgpost-7628-036620800 1286051660_thumb.jpgpost-7628-036620800 1286051660_thumb.jpgGot the chance to play around this weekend, and this is what I came up with. I made them from two railroad spikes. I think they will work fairly well as pickup tongs. Sorry about the bolt and nut- the rain was comming in, no roof on the work area, and i got in a hurry. I had alot of fun making them, and definately learned alot. not the prettiest you'll see... Any suggestions would be great!

thanks guys- yes these were pounded out by hand. I have used the twist method before for lightweight tongs, but I came upon a few new spikes, and wanted to see how far I could draw them out. I had some difficulty holding on to the things until they got flattened out a bit more. Maybe I'll have to make a pair of tongs to hold more irregular shaped stock, like bolt tongs, or wolf jaw style.