I Forge Iron

Newbie from Kentucky

Rebelarms81

Just starting to get started in Blacksmithing; meaning that I have an aspiration of learning. I have wondered about doing this since I was a kid. I welcome any and all advice. I am in the process of making an anvil out of railroad steel (I have heard good and bad things about R.R. steel, but with just starting out I figure that it'll work for now) Hope to have more for you at a later date.

Welcome. Free advice; Buy or borrow The Complete Modern Blacksmith or The Edge of the Anvil. The first has more detail. Join a blacksmiths group. Find a blacksmith in your city to teach you some basics. Take a class. Practice every thing you learn on your own, soon after you learn it. Take pictures, if you can and notes. Frequent flea markets and yard sales in seach of tools. Read every thread on this whole site. Ask a lot of questions here. Buy any books you can find on metal working.

Welcome. Free advice; Buy or borrow The Complete Modern Blacksmith or The Edge of the Anvil. The first has more detail. Join a blacksmiths group. Find a blacksmith in your city to teach you some basics. Take a class. Practice every thing you learn on your own, soon after you learn it. Take pictures, if you can and notes. Frequent flea markets and yard sales in seach of tools. Read every thread on this whole site. Ask a lot of questions here. Buy any books you can find on metal working.

Thanks so much for the info! I plan on doing plenty of searching and learning.

Howdy bud, Where ya located? I about to move but staying in Lexington, once I get the shop setup at the new home I would be more than happy to help some locals brothers in the black.

A little town called Campbellsville. Its a little west of Lexington. Nice to meet you.

Welcome aboard, glad to have ya.

If you'll put your general location in your header old farts like me won't have to try remembering who's in the area when we're traveling and want a snack. You'll also be surprised how many smiths live within a reasonable distance so you can pump em for info.

Join the local association, you'll learn more in half an hour from an experienced smith than in a month of teaching yourself.

Frosty the Lucky.