I Forge Iron

Domomg Hammer

Bentiron1946

The other day in "it Followed me Home" DiverMike brought home a doming hammer and we were all admiring it and some of us wanting one, well here is one on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/HAMMER-VINTAGE-ROUNDING-BLACKSMITH-/150487738432?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2309c4a840
Looks fairly decent and the price for "buy it now" don't look bad either, only I ain't gots no money and I have decided that I sure don't need one. <_<
I found another one starting bid is cheaper too http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACKSMITH-HAMMER-ANVIL-TOOL-UNUSUAL-BLACKSMITH-HAMMER-/260658086466?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb06ec242

• 2 weeks later...

The other day in "it Followed me Home" DiverMike brought home a doming hammer and we were all admiring it and some of us wanting one, well here is one on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/HAMMER-VINTAGE-ROUNDING-BLACKSMITH-/150487738432?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2309c4a840
Looks fairly decent and the price for "buy it now" don't look bad either, only I ain't gots no money and I have decided that I sure don't need one. <_<
I found another one starting bid is cheaper too http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACKSMITH-HAMMER-ANVIL-TOOL-UNUSUAL-BLACKSMITH-HAMMER-/260658086466?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb06ec242

Price doesn't look bad, but the shipping breaks the deal

Shipping almost always breaks the deal unless you got something that weighs 69.5 pounds and fits in a flat rate box, otherwise a flat rate box screws you. If you can get them to ship on actual weight it's not to bad of a deal but flat rate only benefits the Post Office and the shipper not the buyer. I bought one last week off eBay for aroung $10 and he shipped it for actual shipping weight, parcel post for less than $4 and it was a pretty nice hammer. Flat rate for the hammer would have been $10.70, that would have been a deal breaker for me but he agreed to ship parcel post. :)

Most of the time I ship flat rate the clerk tells me the cost of shipping the same thing by regular mail. Generally 3-4 *times* as much as flat rate!

They are on to me at the post office and always want to know "what is it this time" after shipping 32 RR spikes and WI round and plate---I often build a wooden box to fit inside the flat rate box after a couple of problems...And then ter as the 68# one I received---2 pieces of round stock and 80# of the original box was gone and replaced by several pounds of post office tape! (I had the pieces individually labeled as well in case the box didn't make it). They had me come behind the counter and pick it up out of a wheelbarrow for that one...

Why shippers of light stuff like flat rate is that the post office provides free boxes and it's *fast*.

Is he "showing" you the actual rate for parcel post or just "telling" you off the top of his head? My clerk was showing me on my last thing I shipped east the big difference between the true parcel post which takes the slow truck versus the Priority Mail, it was quite a difference to me and would add up to money over time. If you are paying for the shipping it saves you a buck or two a package to go with parcel post to kin folk but if the customer is paying and you just want to do quick and fast by all means use the Flat Rate Box method for heavy stuff but for little things the Post Office makes out like a bandit. "If it fits, it ships" is all fine and dandy if it fits and if it don't fit your screwed! :lol: